Saturday, August 9, 2014

Sparkle & shine - 4th birthday party

Today was the big party day at our house. Landen turned four on Wednesday and today we celebrated with family and some friends. Being 6.5 months pregnant while being mommy to a four and one and a half year-old have definitely minimized my party planning and decor, but I enjoy it just as much as that first birthday party. 

The theme this year - Sparkle & Shine - was inspired by Landen herself. She's into all things girly. Babies, bracelets, lip gloss, all things shiny. So I went with it. It also allowed me to incorporate PINK - a must - and reuse/repurpose some of our decor from last year's sweets party

I'll start with the decorations...instead of puff balls this year, I opted to make some tissue paper tassels. Just as easy as the puff balls, just a different look. And if you're going to make tons of them like I did, they just take a little time. I followed this tutorial on Pinterest.



The banners were just revamped from last year. I've actually used them for three parties now. I just replace the colored paper and save the brown card stock triangles. Using rubber cement to attach the paper usually works well, but the pink glitter paper I used on one of the banners got discolored from it...oops.

Another new decoration was some glittery garland. I spray painted and glittered some circular name tags and hot glued to some string for extra glittery decor in the window. 


I went pretty simple on the snacks this year. It was an ice cream & cake party, so white cheddar popcorn, birthday treat cookies from earlier in the week, and some mexicali dip did the trick. I used clear glass bowls and some apothecary jars to serve the food. The glitter "L" was a big hit with Landen because she got to help me make it. And, boy, was it glittery! She loaded it on for sure. Along with the snacks we served some pink lemonade. 




Party favors included homemade glitter playdoh and a cookie cutter. This was another project that Landen got to help with which made them even more special for her to share with her guests.

The birthday girl herself was feeling pretty festive, as she should, dressed in a personalized, frilly, sparkly ensemble. Shockingly, I could find very few (like zero) dresses with sparkle or any kind of sequins when I searched some of my favorite websites a few weeks ago. So we decided on this dress and paired it with some sparkly shoes, and I found a sequin "L" iron-on appliqué to add some more shine. 



Finally, the cake. Oh, the cake! My favorite bakeries were booked with weddings this weekend...and I may have waited a little too long to place my order, so I decided I would make it myself. Crazy. Never again. I am NOT a baker, and it is so stressful! I will say that the cake turned out fine, but I made SIX round cakes and one GIANT batch of buttercream frosting this week. Did I mention I hate baking? I may need to close my kitchen for a week to recover. So here it is...


It took one (sad looking) practice cake earlier in the week, a new frosting recipe and some help and moral support from my mom to get this thing put together. But I did it. Just this one time. Never again. Did I already say that? 

Of course Landen received several nice gifts from family and friends that I'm sure will keep her busy (and well accessorized) for quite awhile. She and Callen enjoyed the bubble maker from Uncle Dan once the party was over. 


Although it's hard to believe Landen is FOUR, it's also so much fun to watch her grow each an every day. Being her mommy has not been a breeze by any stretch of the imagination, but I wouldn't trade this attentive, particular, emotional, energetic little girl for anything. I'm sure this year of her life will be amazing.

Now excuse me while I go book a birthday cake for next year's party...

No comments:

Post a Comment